Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Sunny Patch Landscape painting

Here is a painting I made in the studio from my plein air session at Dorris Ranch. I prefer to make my finished paintings in the studio. I love going out to paint but I think of the work I do outside as a way of taking time to look at what I see. When I start the painting in the studio I try to work from memory using my studies as reference. I don't feel bound to record what I see but treat it more as an emotional expression. In this painting, although I was sitting next to a river I was drawn to the way the butte looked with a patch of light on the top in a treeless area and the way the mist and clouds hugged around it. It is a lonely quite feeling that is beautiful to me. If you like it you can buy it from my studio shop.

No comments: